Table Of Contents
Chapter 1: What Is Stress?
Chapter 2: Factors that Create Stress
Chapter 3: Signals that Tell You Are Stressed
Chapter 4: Stress Can Be Worked Out
Chapter 5: Tips to Work Stress Out from Your Life
Chapter 6: Dealing with Stress at Work
Chapter 7: Dealing with Stress in Relationships
Sample Content Preview
Dealing with Stress at Work
7 in 10 people who have jobs claim that their work is causing them stress. This may be your situation as well. Maybe your job is what is giving you something more than just your livelihood… it is also giving you the stress to live with. If this is happening, you are not alone.
But at the same time, there are things you can do in order to combat workplace stress. All of these things are quite doable. It is all in planning the right way and avoiding the negatives.
Dealing with Stress at Work
Workplace stress is one of the most common forms of stress. In today’s times, it is very difficult not to carry some work back home. People are usually inundated with work, and that causes a great deal of stress to them.
In order to cope with your workplace stress, you need to first accept that your job is the cause of your stress. It is only when you come out of your denial can you overcome this form of stress; something that is true for every kind of stress that you might face.
Here are some tips you can use to deal with stress at the workplace.
1. Take only as much work as you can do. For a lot of people, the stress is because they take up a lot of work, work that they cannot do. Promotions and incentives notwithstanding, the one thing that is very important to you is your health. You should know what your limit is, and then you should work within that limit. This is a very important point. If you just give your nod to work that you can realistically do, then you will be much happier about your job.
2. Accept work with realistic and practicable deadlines only. Many people accept work with difficult deadlines just because of the lure of money or because of the fear of losing a client. But, if you are good at your work, you can always ask for more time to do your work. No work needs to be unrealistically chased. At least, not at the cost of your health. When you take up work that you can easily do, then you are not only preventing stress from sapping your innards, but you are also able to provide better quality work to your clients.
3. Learn to say no. Most people cannot do that. Workplace stress actually stems from the fact that people don’t know how to say no. When you cannot refuse, you end up taking things you cannot do. You take more work than you can handle, you accept unrealistic deadlines, you agree to help out your friends with things that they are supposed to do, you agree to do tasks for the company which you need not (such as organizing parties) and so on. There is no harm in doing all of this if you are capable of doing it. But, most people do not have that kind of powerhouse capacity. If you have to take up a lot of work and eventually it is going to cause you an immense deal of stress, then it is certainly not worth creating that impression of the ‘guy or gal who can do it all’.
4. Manage your time. This is one of the most important things that anyone should learn, whether they have a job or not. When you are in a job, this becomes all the more important. When you learn how to manage your time, then you are able to fulfill your tasks in a much better way, with enough time left over for fun and recreation as well.
5. You have to absolutely learn how to prioritize things. This is extremely important. When you are able to fulfill tasks according to their order of importance, then you find the situation much easier to handle. One way of prioritizing things is by deciding which of your tasks can help the faster accomplishment of another task. If there is a particular task that should be done earlier so that the next task becomes easier, then follow that logical order.
6. Learn about new technologies all the time. You will be amazed to see the kind of progress that technology is making right now. This is the world of automation; there is a simple software solution for almost anything. Keep updated. There are chances that you could use some new technological solution to make your job easier. At the same time, when you are better informed, you simply know how to get your job done faster.
7. Trust in your team. So many people build up a great deal of workplace stress just because they do not believe in the people around them. Give them their due importance. You should know that these people have also been employed by the same organization that has employed you, so you need to have at least some amount of faith in their judgment. If there is some task that someone else should do, let them do it. Do not insist on taking it up just because you feel you can do a better job. The whole thing could actually backfire. You may not be able to finish that and your work would be left in limbo as well.
8. Keep time for your family and friends. Never immerse yourself in your work. Always remember that you are working for your family and yourself. Hence, give them due importance. Refrain from working on holidays and the weekends. Spend time with the family. Go out with your friends whenever you can. All these things really matter because they take your mind off work. When you revisit your work after such brief sojourns, you find that you can attack it with renewed vigor.
9. Live a healthy lifestyle. Take care of your health. Go for a jog early morning, or at least get a treadmill. Leave only after having a healthy breakfast. Learning a good meditation technique such as Yoga is also not a bad idea. Do not drink and smoke just because you are stressed at work. These can only give you a temporary boost. When their effect wears off, you will be feeling more despondent than ever. Avoid calorie-rich junk foods and pile up on those veggies instead. Have fresh fruit juice instead of coffee at work. Sip water throughout the day; it helps keep your metabolism in a good working condition.
10. Celebrate when you should, and don’t just celebrate with your work people. If you have achieved some kind of victory at work, treat your family and friends. This gives you a sense of self-satisfaction. When you see your near and dear ones sharing in your victory, you feel that your achievement is not in vain. This also acts as a great motivating factor and you are able to tackle your next job with better enthusiasm.
Keep these points in mind. Workplace stress is sapping everyone’s mind at the moment, but you need to keep this demon away. Like with every other kind of stress, you should learn how to use the influence of stressors on your mind to bring about creative solutions. Do that, and workplace stress will become history for you!Other Details
- Ebook (PDF, DOC), 36 Pages
- Ecover (PSD, JPG)
- File Size: 45,106 KB